-- Business blog now available --

A quick note to say that I've set up my Business blog, to be able to speak with a clear voice on both personal and work issues (i.e. by having separate blogs).

Sunday 9 March 2008

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - IRL #1

I've got stuck thinking of the right words, so I'm posting this - which I hope to the first of three posts on the topic:

Caroline and I recently attended a wedding. Nothing unusual about that, but what was unusual that the Groom suffered a major stroke 6 months ago, and as a result has "locked-in syndrome"

It was a pretty emotional occasion. Imagine you've been a healthy, fit, middle-aged man - wanting to get re-married to that special person you want to spend the rest of your life with.

Out of the blue, you suffer a massive stroke, and you are henceforth denied even the ability to speak, let alone move anything apart from your eyes.

An interesting apposition then, with the film of the book "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" - some of you may have seen this, although I'm not sure whether it's come to the UK yet.

Information about Locked In syndrome:
Also, thanks to Annette Gorey I have this link to an academic paper on the subject.

Next post will be about the role of Technology in the happy day. :-)

p.s. See also my later posts - here and here.
blog comments powered by Disqus